Monday, 12 May 2008

Help me NAME my new laptop, pls!!

She's almost a month old! How I got her is a wonderful story on its own.

My previous laptop... also a Dell Inspiron (4150)... was already 6 years old. It had served me well, but it was time for a change. It wasn't keeping up with the speed of times. So for months I had been contemplating / looking around / getting opinions... ie. procrastinating.

Old faithful! We have been places together and you have served me well! Kudos to Dell!



One Sunday afternoon, not wanting to wait any longer (I was worried the old one would crash and then all my assignments would be gone!)(Actually, I was just frightened at the idea of having to do them all over again. Lazy mah!), I finally decided on the Dell Inspiron 1420... the truth was, I had fallen in love with the XPS M1330, but my mind kept wandering over to its price tag. *sigh*... nevermind! Gotta be practical.

But the Inspiron still wasn't all that cheap. At the back of mind, I was calculating and budgeting on how to live on as little as possible for the rest of the month... hmm, last Friday at cellgroup, a Bible verse was brought up. Psalm 37:4 reads: Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. But in class, I had learnt that Psalms are poetry, and you can't always take poems literally.


Fast forward back to Sunday, it was evening time and I had just reached home. My mind was still on the laptop when suddenly, my dad said to me, "My laptop died. Why don't you get yourself a new one and let me take over yours. I'll sponsor it." My heart skipped.

To cut the story short, he asked me if I had any good laptops in mind and I said yeah, I did. But when I suggested the Inspiron, my brother who was there at the time said that it wasn't very value for money, and that the XPS would be a better buy! Dad agreed. My heart skipped another beat. Oh pooh! Who am I kidding? At this point, my heart was already racing la.

I wanted to shout, laugh, cry, leap all at the same time. I couldn't decide. I was so happy! I was so grateful! Thank you! Thank you! My dad's the greatest! But deeper still, I knew that God was speaking to me. My heavenly father knows my heart and was giving me what I had desired in it. I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. I was so happy. I was so grateful. Thank you, thank you. My DADS are the greatest.

Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4.

SO, on the 19th of April, after loads of help from both Japheth and Christine (I owe you both some icecream... or was it a McD's meal?) my new laptop finally arrived!









These photos don't do justice! She's alot prettier in real life.

*Sniff* Isn't she a beaut? She turns 1 month old in 7 days! I have yet to name her!!! Please help! These are some already suggested: maxine, melanie, axel, sandy, monique, crystal, angel, isabelle, samantha, annette, hannah, lappy... anymore?

21 comments:

Eugene T. said...

hee, just hand it over to cerlyn or ming yan and you'd get photos that will do your lappy justice ;-)


im happy you decided to rejoin the blogosphere! :-D

Eugene T. said...

i meant her! not it! HER! >.<

Anonymous said...

aiyah.. tell u wat la donny....
name it after ur tat favourite tennis player, ok?! then it's settled!
*lolz*
i wanna c her pics n etc etc..
rem to show them to me alrite? =)

Anonymous said...

donny...................................................................................................

i've reach japan edi

edmund

DonnyTanTW said...

@eugene: hor... good thing you corrected urself! Haha! I'm so happy to be welcomed back too!

@ck: her name is Ana! Ana Ivanovic! Whee... she has her own webpage! You can go check it out. Ok, now Ana is added to the list!

@ed: hey! hey! are u in a cyber cafe? What on earth are you doing indoors!!! Go be a tourist man!!! Take lotsa pictures!

kaitlin said...

Jap-tine...Jastine...
Chriseth...Cripheth...

Hahaha. As a tribute to those two who helped you pick it out. Then you can save money on that meal you owe them lol.
That is, if it's worth the...unique name your lappy will have to bear for the rest of its (hopefully) long, good, productive life.

DonnyTanTW said...

@ellejay: hahahahahahaha! Walao! That IS funny!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! u really gave me a shock there.. i was wondering why lijen put my name with jap's! then only i realize.. brain not functioning as fast as it's suppose to! >___<

Anonymous said...

Heyyy Dohnie!!!! U blogged!!!!!

Name ur lappy Zane, it means Gracious gift of God. If ur lappy is a girl then cahange d name to Zayne la...sounds the same mar

Anonymous said...

how much is the laptop? and is it heavy?

Anonymous said...

i second cripeth!!!!!

eh, typo. i mean Cripheth! foosh! sooo graceful! sooo.... uh, ur lappy!

kaitlin said...

And and while you're at it you could name your blog like... Leipheth or Jashia.
Hahaha. Wei Japheth overdose la your property...

Anonymous said...

haha..
but cripheth sounds a lil like crippled tat's y... =(
let's try to get a better combi?
how bout.. Japze? hahahahahha...
Zepheth...
@_@

Anonymous said...

leipeth and cripeth. jenpeth. jareddipeth.

LOLLLLLL the only reason i second these names is for the twisted sound of "pet" LOLLL >.< u know that baby diaper, petpet? LOLL SOH FARNY!

but hey, u cant run away lah, ur stuck with jap. might as well gayfully accept it!

Jared said...

aiyo. why wanna name laptop? its stil a IT after all. so ma fan. hehehe.

JapBoyRockS said...

WOW! i was super busy the past few days and i became the topic of this blog... man... u ppl really miss me eh?

hello Lj!

waaa.. got jenpeth also =.='
all the way from aussie also kena suck in.. lol!

Unknown said...

i was in the cc bcoz ny brother wants to send his assignment... anyway, i am hving lots of fun, but the amount of walking, i can die man...

edmund

DonnyTanTW said...

@schnicky: hey shnicky! I blogged! Haha! Zayne sounds cool! I'll add it to the list!

@jared: yerr... SHH!!! You'll hurt HER feelings!!!

@jap: wad is this??? SS in ur own blog not enuf ah? too much!

@everyone discussing name combis: sorry ler... no combi is good enuf! haha!

Anonymous said...

tell u wat donny...
how bout.. Evlogia!
it means blessing in greek..
i think it's a really nice name~
XD

Anonymous said...

Ana, it sounds like some sci-fi movie computer AI name

Anonymous said...

Hi dohnie...why need to name yr laptop ?? I don't name mine....i think its still an it ! Hahaha...sry la but maybe opinions differ...hehe usually most guys would name their tech stuff right ?? Hmm and i wonder why ?
Welcome to the blogging world !!